Friday, October 30, 2009

Comedy of Manners

Thats about all it is in some plays. If you don't understand what the manners of the time period should be, these plays won't seem funny to you on paper. You have to find the irony between the characters. Now, I will admit there are a couple of these plays I find funnier than others. I can't help but love Moliere's Tartuffe. I think the characters and situations are wonderfully played. Dorine ismy fav and it has nothing to do with the fact I played her!



I have yet to read School for Wives or School for Husbands by Moliere. Here is a little tid-bit, School for Wives was not well received by the audience, so he come back with The Critizism for School for Wives. I know, right? What is up with the school? Even a hundred years later, we have the play School for Scandal by Sheridan. I don't know. I have done a little research, not enough obviously. I have now idea. If anyone knows, please relieve me of long wondered question. I have my conclusions. I get it that school means to teach, so the playwrites are giving us a lesson on these subjects. But I have no proof.


In short, even if I don't think these are the funniest plays, I love the styles. I only wish they were done more. I hope I can find a show going up soon. Moliere's The Misanthrope has been done 1500 times from 1680-1960. I have yet to see it... I will keep you posted if I find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment