Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Plays to go See

This is first entry excites me.  Its goes right along with my theme now.  Troubadour Theater Co. is putting up "Oedipus the King, Mama!"  The synopsis says it's a "Maternal Musical", mixing the classic tragedy with the music of Elvis Presley.  I guess he sings for the love of his Mama!  I gotta see this, so you'll have the low down soon.

Oedipus the King, Mama!
by Sophocles and Troubadour Theater Co.
~Falcon Theater~
4252 Riverside Dr.
Brubank, CA #818-955-8101
tix $27.50-40.00
*runs through Sept. 27 2009

This Play is a favorite of mine, and one I have wanted to do for a couple years now, "Boston Marriage" by David Mamet.  If you love Mamet's style, you have to see it or at least read it.  It is set at the turn of the 20th century, where we find two women in a relationship that may be both physical and emotional.  This play proves that Mamet can write for women!

Boston Marriage
by David Mamet
~Group Rep @ Lonny Chapman Theatre~
10900 Burbank Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA #866-811-4111
tix $22.00;  $17.00 for Students
*runs through Nov. 8 2009

"Manuscript" by Paul Grellong was one that I thought I might have watched a scene from at Beverl Hills Playhouse, but now that I have checked it out more, I guess not.  Still looks good to me.  Catchy, fast-paced dialoge between three young twenty something, struggling writers.  Reminds me of "This is our Youth",  without them being writers, ANYWAY another must read.  I digress.  I thought this would help bring some relevance to my selections.  It is only about four years old, with a young cast.

Manuscript
by Paul Grellong
~Elephant Theater~
6322 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA #323-360-5774
tix $15.00
*runs through Oct. 3 2009

Hope this tickles your fancy.  Get out there, see some shows, and tell us what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment